Cats are a lot of fun to watch and interact with, but having some toys around can make their playtime that much more interesting. Not all cat toys are created equal, however — kittens, in particular, have different needs than older cats when it comes to playthings. In this article, we'll take a look at some of the best cat toys for both kittens and older cats, so you can choose the ones that will bring the most joy and entertainment to your furry friend.
What to Look for in a Kitten Toy
When you bring home a new kitten, it’s only natural that you’d want to give it something to play with. So it’s important to know what to look for when picking out a toy for your new furry friend.
You’ll want to check the toy for any parts that can potentially break off and be swallowed, such as any items that are small or have removable parts. If the toy doesn’t specifically state it has been safety tested, it is better to be safe than sorry and choose one that has.
Kittens naturally like to bite and claw and you want to make sure the toy is durable enough to withstand these activities. Stuffed animals and plush toys are great, but they won’t last long with your kitten’s playful manner. Choose toys that are made of materials that can handle a bit of roughhousing.
Kittens need activities that keep them active and alert, so look for toys that will challenge them mentally as well as physically. Some toys move around and make noise, others require your kitten to solve a puzzle in order to get to the treat inside. The possibilities are endless, so have fun picking out the perfect toy for your kitty.
No matter what type of toy you choose, always keep safety and durability in mind when making your selection. That way, your new furry friend will get plenty of playtime out of the toy before it’s time for a replacement.
Top Rated Toys for Kittens
Kittens are always creating new ways to entertain themselves. As a cat parent, providing your pet with the right toys can help to keep them happy, engaged, and healthy. But with so many toys to choose from, it can be difficult to decide which ones are right for your feline friends. We put together a list of the top rated toys for kittens.
1. Teaser Toys
Teaser toys are great for kittens that love chasing after things. With a string attached to a toy, or even just a feather on the end of a wand, your kitten will love this interactive play. Teaser toys give cats a sense of control, as they’re able to hunt for their toy, catch it, and then play with it.
2. Catnip Toys
Catnip toys come with a variety of styles, from little stuffed mice to fabric toy balls. Catnip can cause quite a reaction in cats, which can be hilarious to watch! There’s nothing quite like watching a kitten rolling around in euphoria because of the scent of catnip in a toy.
What to Look for in a Toy for an Older Cat
When purchasing a toy for an older cat, it's essential to consider a few specifications. First, it's important to research the toy in order to make sure it's suitable for a mature cat. The product should be designed specifically for a mature feline, as general toys may be too simple or too difficult.
In addition, look into the quality of the material. Cats loves fabrics, feathers, and all sorts of textures, however, older cats are more fragile and sensitive. Look for soft fabrics and analyse the build of the toy. The last thing you want is for the toy to break apart on the first touch and become a choking hazard.
Older cats need toys that will provide ample entertainment, as well as mental stimulation. The product should be designed to promote physical activities and help keep the cat in shape. Ensure that the product is interactive, so that it will hold the cat's attention.
Finally, consider your cat’s personality when purchasing the toy. If you have an older cat that loves solitude, scout for toys that will keep the cat entertained and engaged without needing an interactive buddy. Alternatively, look for products that involve two cats so that your pet may share the fun with another feline friend.
Keep the above considerations in mind to find the perfect toy for an older cat. With the right toy, you can easily promote a healthy lifestyle and create an exciting world for your mature kitty companion.
Top Rated Toys for Older Cats
Older cats can still enjoy and need lots of active playtime, too! Here are some of the top rated toys for older cats to keep them entertained and mentally challenged:
- Interactive Cat Toys – Interactive cat toys provide mental stimulation for cats of all ages. In particular, older cats enjoy testing their skills with a variety of pushing and flipping activities.
- Food Dispensing Toys – Food dispensing toys keep cats engaged as they play and eat. These toys slow down the eating process while providing mental stimulation!
- Catnip Toys – Catnip toys can be fun and rewarding for cats of all ages. The scent of catnip can give older cats an extra burst of energy.
- Cat-Pillow Toys – Cat-pillow toys are great for cats who like to snuggle up and hide. These comfy and snug toys offer a safe area that cats of all ages can enjoy.
Older cats need plenty of fun and challenge to stay fit and playful. With these top rated toys for older cats, you can give your cat the mental stimulation and physical activity they need to stay healthy.
Questions to Ask Yourself When Choosing a Toy
When considering a toy for your feline friend, there are some important questions to ask yourself:
- Is the toy age-appropriate?
- Will my cat actually play with it?
- Does the toy offer the necessary stimulation?
- Is the toy safe for cats?
- Is the toy durable?
You want to make sure that the toy is safe for your cat, stimulating enough for them to enjoy, and age-appropriate for your feline companion. Be sure to read the product descriptions and reviews before buying to ensure you’re selecting the perfect toy for your cat.
Do's and Don'ts for Cat Toy Shopping
When shopping for the perfect cat toy for your furry one, it's important to note the various dos and don'ts for cat toy shopping.
- Choose From Safe Toys — Look for high-quality toys made from durable materials that won't easily break or tear apart.
- Keep It Interactive — Look for toys that allow your feline to engage in active playtime.
- Shop for Specific Toys — Take into account the age, size, breed, and activity level of your cat to find the best toy for her.
- Check for Size — Make sure the toy won't pose a choking hazard. If the toy is too small and your cat attempts to swallow it, it is likely to cause a life-threatening situation.
- Include Variety — Spread out the kinds of toys you buy and include everything from interactive toys to stuffed animals.
- Don’t Choose Toys That Contain Small Parts — These parts may come off and become a choking hazard.
- Avoid Plastic Toys — The toxins contained in plastic toys can be harmful to cats.
- Steer Clear of Toxins — Toys that contain toxins, like lead, can be hazardous for cats.
- Don't Buy Toys That Can be Chewed Off — Toys that contain loose shells, strings, or small pieces can be dangerous if chewed.
- Don’t Let Your Cat Play Unsupervised — Always supervise your cat during playtime for safety purposes.
By knowing the dos and don’ts for cat toy shopping, you'll achieve the best results for your feline companion and ensure a healthy, happy playing environment.
When it comes to cats, age matters, especially when selecting the right toys to keep them entertained. For kittens, the best toys are ones that stimulate their senses and help them explore their world. For older cats, more complex toys and interactive play are essential to their overall wellbeing. Cat toys come in a variety of shapes, sizes and functions, so it is important to choose wisely when shopping for your cat. Making sure your cats are happy and engaged can help keep them healthy and content, ensuring a lifetime of fun and companionship.